Montessori Education Week
February 26- March 4, 2017
"Free the child's potential, and you will transform him into the world." ~Maria Montessori
Lake Country School joins over 5000 Montessori schools both in the United States and around the world in celebration of Montessori Education Week. The purpose of Montessori Education Week is to grow public awareness about Montessori education and respect for all children.
Check back each day this week to hear from our students about what the like about attending a Montessori school!
Minneosta Governor, Mark Dayton, Declares February 26 - March 4, 2017 Montessori Education Week
Below is some information about Maria Montessori, the first Italian female physician and Montessori education.
- Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952) was an Italian physician, educator, and innovator, acclaimed for her educational method that builds on the way children naturally learn.
- In the U.S., there are 400+ public and 4,000+ private Montessori schools. Montessori is growing and it’s for ALL children!
- Montessori is more than a pre-school. There are Montessori programs all over the world for children from infancy through high school.
- Dr. Maria Montessori, tapped into the very structure of the human brain. Neuroscientists, developmental psychologists and pediatricians all agree that the brain forms crucial associations based on the very same process of learning that Dr. Montessori identified over a century ago.
- Will Wright, founder of “Sims”, said: “Montessori taught me the joy of discovery…it’s all about learning on your terms, rather than a teacher explaining stuff to you.”
- Anne Frank, Yo Yo Ma, Beyonce, and Jeff Bezos learned in Montessori schools.