In 1996, Lake Country School (LCS) purchased 160 acres of land in Dunn County, Wisconsin. The beautiful site includes a farmstead, forests, fields, ravines, and ponds. We have developed an extensive trail system, thriving beehives, maple sugaring, and an apple orchard. In 2004, a homestead was built which serves as classroom, kitchen, dining hall, living space, and dorm rooms.
The development of the Land School's program fulfills LCS’s vision of implementing Maria Montessori's Erdkinder experience for adolescents and is an integral part of a full Montessori Junior High education. The Land School also augments the classroom experiences of our primary and elementary students, serves as an ideal environment for summer programs and is a valuable resource for the LCS community in developing a deep relationship with the land over an extended period of time.
The Lake Country Land School follows these values and principles:
- We are organic farmers and stewards of the land.
- We seek a sustainable, harmonious balance between domesticated and wild areas in nature.
- We value simplicity, order, beauty, and the practice of restoring and recycling before building anew.
- We recognize and articulate the inherent sacredness of the earth and the child's opportunity to experience it.
- We seek to realize meaningful relationships between urban and rural life.
- We value the work of the hand and the land and create experiences that help children explore and discover these connections.
Visit the Lake Country Land School blog to read more about our rural campus.
Saturday, March 9, 2019 - Pancake Breakfast
Sunday, April 28, 2019 - Spring Festival